17 January 2023
Round Table Summary (CIOs): Climate Change & Portfolio Construction
The CIOs in the network came together in the first round table of 2023 to discuss the challenges of integrating climate change objectives into portfolio construction. The vibrant and wide-ranging discussion included key takeaways such as:
- There is keen engagement from stakeholders on ensuring that their asset holdings are aligned with the goals of the energy transition.
- Participants discussed the need to assign the appropriate goals for the organization and to assign responsibility for the goal either to stakeholders or to the board.
- There can be costs from integrating climate goals into the portfolio, and boards should indicate what costs they are prepared to absorb in order to meet those goals.
- Once ownership of the goal has been well-established, the appropriate investment beliefs need to be developed to define actions that managers can take to achieve success.
- There are many detailed and complicated investment management issues to overcome to meet these goals, and a significant amount of work remains to meet the three-dimensional climate challenge.
Thank you to all the participants. For a full list of upcoming round tables, please visit our events calendar.
Have a question for the network? We encourage Research Partners to host a round table. Contact us for more details.